Wednesday, March 19, 2008

I'm Sure We'll Have A Lot To Talk About


I'm setting up this blog as a kind of meeting place for the History Interest Group, in between annual SPS meetings. I envision it as a place where I can notify you of publications (by SPS members and otherwise), dissertations, articles, etc. which are of interest as well as info about the upcoming (or past) meetings.

As you know, I'm updating an email list which will be circulated to each of you in the Group.

I'm also putting various links of interest on here. Let me know of any others which you know about.

You can contact me or the group either via email or by way of this blog. Simply click on the "comment" link following each post. An email will be sent to me which includes your comment so that you have my immediate attention. It can also be a way for you to talk with each other in a very public forum! [I recently had a very lively discussion on a non-Pentecostal blog from Australia about the nature of Pentecostal worship and preaching.]

If you want to post something for discussion, you can send it to me via email and I will post it.

We'll see how it works out and just think, we can prepare our own lunches to eat while meeting with each other. They will be less expensive, more satisfying and maybe less fattening!

8 comments:

Donald Smeeton said...

What a splendid tool also for those who were unable to attend the conference this year!

Religious Studies Review (33/4, 2007)has a 10 page review of a number of recent books of Pentecostal interest. It is entitled "We're not in Kansas Anymore: The Roots and Routes of World Pentecostalism," by Michael J. McClymond.

Fr. Timothy said...

Kim:

This is a great idea and I'm sure it will be helpful to many of us.

I want to let the group know that I am doing research on the Charismatic Renewal in the Orthodox Church. If you have any thoughts, resources or ideas I'd love to hear from you.

Fr. Timothy Cremeens
timocre@regent.edu

Prof LRM said...

Very nicely done, Kim.
Keep up the good work.
Lee Roy

Anonymous said...

Great idea, Dr. Alexander.

Excellent resource!

Thanks.

Roscoe

Anonymous said...

Hello Brother,

You might want to include my website: "Rediscovering Pentecost" at www.brothermel.com. On my website I offer rare early Pentecostal recordings by Howard Carter, the only known recording of Stanley Frodsham, WFP Burton, George Jeffreys, F.F. Bosworth, David Du Plessis, Harold Horton, the Goodwins, and others.

And these recordings have not been pirated from some other source. I have been given persmission by the Howard Carter family, Frodsham family, Goodwin family, and others to legitimately host these recordings. Just go to my site and click on "Rare Recordings," and you can listen to all of these recordings by download for free.
I would like to ask that if anyone has any rare early Pentecostal recordings, or recordings by the Healing Revivalists, to consider sharing them with me, so that I can share them with the world for free. In return, I am glad to acknowledge the donor and include a link back to their website if they have one, in the same manner I have done with Christ For The Nations, T.L. Osborn's ministry, the donor of the Carter and Frodsham recordings, etc.

I have the expertise needed to safely take donated recordings from reel to reel and other early formats, to mp3 and CD, and to do audio editing to edit out background noises, clear up poor recordings, etc.

Best wishes with your new blog. I welcome contacts from anyone interested in Pentecostal History.

Kind Regards,
Mel Montgomery
"Brother Mel"
admin@brothermel.com
Joplin, Missouri
USA

Robb said...

This is great! Right on, Boss.

m.d. mcmullin said...

This is indeed a great idea.

Thanks for including me and sending me a link to it.

Glen O'Brien said...

Members may be interested in the recent historic merger of two theological schools in Melbourne Australia. Kingsley College is a Wesleyan Methodist ("Wesleyan Church" in the USA) school founded in 1949, and Tabor College is a non-denominational school with Pentecostal/Charismatic origins. The two schools entered into a partnership in January of this year. The Principal of Tabor (and of the newly merged school), Wynand De Kock is a graduate of the Church of God Theological Seminary in Queensland. You can read more at the two school's respective websites. http://www.kingsley.edu.au/
http://tabor.vic.edu.au/